Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Progressive Hollywood... yeah right

This was posted on a forum by a person who works in the Hollywood entertainment industry. It perfectly sums up how I feel about Crash winning Best Picture:

"I find Crash winning so offensive because of the message it sends, which is that it's not OK for two men (especially masculine men) to love each other. Anyone who thinks Brokeback Mountain lost for any reason other than homophobia is wrong. The fact is that the Academy is by and large older, straight, white men, who are threatened by the idea of two men expressing their love for each other. My boss is an entertainment lawyer who knows various industry people here in LA. He's also gay. He told me on Thursday that all of the wives of Academy members that he knows told him their husbands refused even to watch Brokeback Mountain. That right there sums it up for me, and it's when I knew BM was going to lose. I am so sad about it because it's the most beautiful love story I've ever seen, and I say that as a man who is not gay. I am disgusted that this type of passive homophobia still exists. BM won every single major precursor for Best Picture and didn't win the Oscar. How can anyone say it was because the movie wasn't good enough? No one will ever convince me that Crash won because it was a better movie; it won because racism is easier to support than homosexuality. This is truly, truly awful -- the worst outcome of any category I can recall because of the insidiousness of why BM lost."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home