Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Thursday, December 20, 2007

There Will Be Blood

Wow. That was some sort of twisted masterpiece. I really don't know what to say at this moment because the movie is still looming so heavily over me.

A few thoughts:

1. Daniel Day-Lewis has the Best Actor Oscar in the bag.
2. Paul Thomas Anderson is without a doubt the most exciting young filmmaker working today.
3. Jonny Greenwood's score is brilliantly unique.
4. Paul Dano is a revelation. He has serious acting chops, and he surprised the hell out of me.
5. The movie is actually quite funny at times.
6. Hate to nitpick, but 10 minutes could have been shaved off, and the result would have been an even more forceful narrative.
7. And finally, I don't know yet if I want to see it again. It leaves such an impression -- it knocks you so hard that I feel as if I need to first recover from the initial blow. It will definitely be too much for some people to handle, but then again, the greatest films often are.

But, damn. What a movie. What a show.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, John. I've been keeping an updated capsule review log in my blog that you should check out. I also have my top ten albums of the year finished. I'm going to see There Will Be Blood tonight at midnight, and I may see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, either tomorrow afternoon or on New Years. At that point, I'll probably post my list, even though there are a few films I need to see (although, from what I've gathered, none of them are likely in danger of disrupting my list). Glad to see that you really liked TWBB. I'm soo stoked to see it.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home