Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Little Children

I've neglected talking about movies on my blog, which is alarming since movies are my ultimate passion. I guess it's just so much easier to post some amusing YouTube video than write out actual cinema commentary. But I'm going to try to start writing a bit about the films I see during these next few months.


Little Children is a very Kubrickian take on suburbia, adultery, and sex offenders. The movie starts out as a humorous satire on the conventions of suburbia, a la American Beauty. Then it moves into more serious ground, becomes tender at times, and then is a little bit too silly.

Director/writer Todd Field seems to have a tendency of taking things too far, if In the Bedroom and Little Children are any indication. Everything falls apart during the final act as all the characters make completely unpractical decisions.

Still, I'd recommend the picture. The first act contains some biting observations and jokes, and the acting is generally strong. A lot of viewers are going to be turned off by the nature of film's subject matter, which is unfortunate. I think Field almost nailed it... he just needs to show a little restraint.

I can't say anymore... I'm sure there's some sort of review embargo on this, and besides, I'll have my full Daily Trojan review of it up in a couple of weeks.

Rating: *** (out of ****)
Opens Oct. 6

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took it for yourself, did you? -aaron

5:38 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah... I couldn't resist. But it's the only screening I've taken for myself so far this year.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home