Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Illusionist


Neil Burger's "The Illusionist" is a surprisingly engrossing picture. Its story of magicians, Vienna, and love grabs you from the onset, and the direction weaves a delightful web of trickery. It's not hard to guess the ending, which I guessed perhaps halfway through; but, I found myself enjoying how the movie reaches its conclusion. Furthermore, if we are to consider its ending a "twist ending," it is at least a twist ending that is appropriate for the characters. We're dealing with a magician, after all.

Maybe I just like magic more than the ordinary person. Maybe I appreciate Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti's acting capabilities more than I should. Maybe I'm a sucker for period pieces with impeccable art direction, cinematography, and a splendid Philip Glass score. Or maybe "The Illusionist" truly is one of the year's best films. You decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home