Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Friday, September 23, 2005

Update... and then some

I'm trying to keep this blog updated, although... is anyone even really reading it? I dunno. I'm going to keep chugging along and adding to it. Things may get more interesting around Oscar Season -- lots of movies to see!

I'm about to start editing Film #2, which is going to be a bitch because I feel like the film shoot didn't go that well. Hopefully, somehow, I'll be able to edit around my shoot's flaws.

I saw a few movies recently.

The Constant Gardener (8 out of 10) - This was directed by Fernando Meirelles, who did City of God, the best film of this decade so far. So to say that my expectations were high is an understatement. The movie is very good - a thriller with a message that also manages to entertain. Meirelles' stylistic flourishes are toned down a bit, but he still manages to shoot the story in intriguing ways. The acting by Ralph Fiennes is perfect, but Rachel Weisz came off as a bit annoying. What was a letdown was the film's script - it went in too many directions, introduced too many characters without really developing them. Also, I never really felt the love between Fiennes and Weisz, but I did appreciate the fact that the narrative was presented via flashbacks as Fiennes learns more about his wife after her death.

Transamerica (7 out of 10) - This comes out in December. It stars Felicity Huffman, who just won an Emmy for her work in Desperate Housewives. And get this, she plays a male-to-female transsexual who learns a week before her final operation that she is the father (mother?) of a 17-year-old son. I don't think this film will make it to Bush Country. The story is sweet, if somewhat cliche. There are moments in the film where the characters' decisions, especially the son's, make no sense. But this movie belongs to Huffman - she pulls off a fabulous performance and really lets us sympathize with her character.

Innocent Voices (8 out of 10) - Comes out in October, and I'm assigned to do a review of it. I'm legally bound to restrain from posting my opinion until the film is released... either that, or I'm too tired to keep on typing. Look for my Daily Trojan review later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home